Saturday, April 26, 2008

Training Session

Hi
I didn’t get my blog out yesterday because the training plus my soccer game after that wore me out! But I do want to talk about the training we did yesterday. We learned lots of new tips like:
- you can count out distances in time or whatever unit is more comfortable to you
- communication helps
- give warning before a turn
- make sure that there isn’t too much tension on the tether so that you can freely move your arms when running
All of these tips will help me for the race.

The feeling when you have the blindfold on is different. It doesn’t feel like you shouldn’t be running - I didn't feel like I couldn't do it with the blindfold. It also feels like you have to prove to anyone who doesn’t believe that people who are blind are capable of anything that they truly are. But the horrible thing about that feeling is that you shouldn’t have to prove anything. People shouldn’t judge others based on one thing. And it shouldn’t be on something they have no control over. A person can’t change that they are blind but they can show others that it doesn’t change whom they are or what they can do.

I wrote Thank You cards and a Thank You email to the people that contributed already.
Bye
Rachel

1 comment:

Marj said...

This is Rachel's Mom - I had a hard time giving verbal instructions when we ran. Sometimes I just pulled on Rachel's arm or pushed her in the direction I wanted her to go. I need to work harder on giving good directions and instructions -- like people coming on your left or take three steps to the right.